Just picture it. Young Sam Vimes at Hogwarts. Very old wizard family, the Vimes, fallen on hard times recently because someone stuck to their principles instead of playing nice with the Ministry of Magic.
Sam would just like to go to his classes and not learn much in peace. All this inter-house sniping is giving him a headache and it’s always the weakest students who get the worst of it and it’s just so bloody unfair. And then there’s Havelock Vetrinari, only a second-year Slytherin and already the president of the Student Council.
(Since when does Hogwarts have a Student Council you ask? Since the start of this year actually. Havelock presented the idea to the teachers and he was very persuasive.)
Sam is fairly sure whenever Weird Shit goes on that it’s probably Havelock’s fault. To be fair, he’s right roughly 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time he ends up helping him, grudgingly, because while Havelock may be a slimy little nerd who knows way too much about everybody, he also manages to keep the biggest bullies in line and Sam can get behind that.
Havelock finds Sam interesting as an intellectual challenge. He’s absolutely incorruptible, and that makes him a very useful ally even if it also makes it trickier to get on your side.
But if a certain Dark Lord is not entirely dead, and one of the new students this year is the Boy Who Lived… Sam’s life is going to get very complicated in the near future.
that Carrot kid in gryffindor isn’t going to make things any easier, either. :D
"Welcome to Defense Against the Dark Arts," the tiny gray-haired woman says as she adjusts her pointy hat. "Now, I never did hold much with the teaching that all curses is always bad, an’ there’ll be times you’ll be cursed and you’ll deserve it and a sight more too. But I been given a job to do here, so I’m gonna make sure you can git your own way out of most of ‘em, leastways if you’ve got enough time.
"So you can start taking notes now. Lesson 1: Headology."